Friday, July 24, 2026

Rebooting..

Date: July 24th 2026, Friday
Observation Time: 9pm to 10:30pm (observing time ~1.5hrs), 
Location: SC Home
Weather: clear Skies, but heavy light pollution because of street lights.  
Instruments: Astrotech 102ED APO  

Trying to reboot myself after a long time. It's been 8 years (i.e. SD to SC move) since I did star gazing. Workplace has kept me so interested and busy that I didn't even bother to even watch moon thru my scope. But since last week, I am trying to get back in the game. 

Last week, visited Houge park for SJAA - In town star party. It was a good reboot. 4-5 scopes. Couple of them on Alberio, Venus. Coupel of photography gears pointing to Veil nebula, Whirlpool galaxy (M??). There was 1 scope pointing to M57 rung nebula. This was was a fantastic view. Digital lives photography but view thru the eyepiece. Something unique indeed. 

So today opened my APO 102ED scope. Goal was just get familiar with the instrument and browse the "light polluted" sky. 

Moon: Fabulous view. Crate details clearly visible. Tried 35mm panoptic, 17 Nagler, 7 Nagler and 7x 2xBarlow magnifier. Views in 17 Nagler were the best. higher magnification was hard to focus. Seeing might not be good. Even with 17 Nagler, crater edges were clearly visible. Also the mountain peak at the center of the crater was visible thru 7mm. Though I know geographical map, forgot the names of most the craters and mares. Looking at the map on the phone also confused me in the orientation because of telescopic view vs digital map on the phone. Need to find a good map/app that matches APO/diagonal image alignment. Showed this to Aparna as well. She was quite impressed. 

Vega and Epsilon Lyrae double-double: in 35mm, Vega was crisp. some stars around Vega confused me with double double. Then realized that they are on opposite side of Epsilon lyre, so moved to opposite side of Vega to find empisolon. Can clearly see "double"... higher magnification didn't help resolving double to double-double. It was ay up in the sky close to home roof. So image was wavy and wasn't able to focus. Also eyepiece holder / diagonal doesn't stay at one place because of gravity and had to hold it by hand to get image in focus. Bit of a trouble. Overall, failed.

Alberio: Took lil bit time to locate it because of light pollution and without the finder scope. browsing thru 35mm, finally found it. Beautiful and crisp. 17mm and 7mm nailers did well as well. Crisp image and sharp focus. Orange/yellow bigger star with blue/greenish smaller star.. Higher the mag, the color contrast goes dimmer. So watching in lower mag was good. 

Since not much visible in the light-polluted sky, tried to browse thru Sagittarius thru 35mm. Not having finder scope or binocs was not healthy. Wasn't even sure if I was browsing thru Sagi or Opphicus, Scorpio. Possibly saw some big open cluster in 35mm. Not sure what it is. Overall, failed

I think in light polluted sky, it's good to have the intelliscope, so at least locations where telescope is pointed at is clear so its easier to locate things, when not visible to naked eye. 

Any way, overall a good reboot! Btw, I noticed that I had tried to reboot myself in 2020, but didn't publish the blog post or didn't capture the details. Hopefully, this time I can continue my observing bit in a regular cadence. GN!


  

 

No comments: