Monday, July 27, 2026

M57 Ring Nebula in City lights

 

Date: July 26th 2026, Sunday
Observation Time: 9:30pm to 11pm (observing time ~1.5hrs), 
Location: SC Home
Weather: clear Skies, but heavy light pollution because of street light & moon white-wash 
Instruments: Astrotech 102ED APO  

9:30pm. Watching towards East. On South side (right), moon is shining bright in gibbous phase 2 days shy of full phase. On North left side bright white street light has caused white wash. So I am hiding away behind patio wall. That's the whole city light pollution. 

Just for fun was browsing Zenith sky near Vega and Alberio, 

Alberio was fantastic & crisp. Even Aparna clearly saw the split, orange-blue colors in default 20x. 

From there, kept on browsing the sky upward North towards Lyra in 20x with 35mm Pan. During Houge park, telescope showed the ring nebula nicely, so I just wanted to see how it looks thru my scope from city lights. Alberio to Sulafat and the line of parallelogram. I can clearly see a faint object at mid-center. Bingo. Even in so much light pollution its visible Mag-8 object. 42x Nag17 shows it clearly. Even Dhruv was able to see the dark ring, when I explained it to him. Tried UHC filter on it. Slightly brighter (but it may be psychological perspective)

Overall it's impressive what you can see. If moon and street light can be fully avoided, I am sure it will pop up nicely. 

Moon: Later switched it to moon. Dhruv enjoyed it quite a lot. Also lot of Q&A on moon geology.

 

     

No comments: